Trundling around Harvey Nich’s this afternoon, I happened upon popping corn. Un-popped kernels, beautifully marked up, un-flavoured, ready for the pan. With a little heat, oil, sugar, and spice, they went from the kernels to the fluffy corn, and my goodness I had no idea how much better it is.
- Place a big pan (your pasta pan will do) on the stove over a medium-low heat, and add a couple of tablespoons of oil.
- Tip in your corn, and shake with the lid on (keep the lid on!).
- The devils will start to launch themselves into the air, trying to escape the fire and brimstone at the bottom of the pan, exploding out of their hard shells in the process.
- Give the pan a shake every so often.
- When the popping slows to between two and three seconds, take off the heat and the popped corn into a bowl.
- Add salt or sugar or whatever you like, and put popcorn in head.